

While these three images above are similar, there are some subtle differences, I would be interested in knowing which one you prefer.
As the modeling lights were out for the count, I had to shoot this just before dusk, around 6. Poor little Chloe was freezing - hot chocolates all round when we got home.
The lighting comprised two portable lights, one positioned infront, slightly to the left, and one behind. One shot, where the other swing is casting a shadow, the light was positioned on the right hand side.

3 comments:
Hi Cate
I imagine this is becoming a series of sorts - and what I react to initially is that although they all look beautiful lighting wise, they also all look staged. This is not a problem if you think then of having another shoot that is more spontaneous and you then start talking about issues of documentary vs. fiction - is this still a picture OF Chloe, or is she representing someone else?
This ambivalence/ boundary between real and unreal/ doco and story is actually quite powerful - but you need to now explore your intentions with the narrative and with the imagined audience.
Good experimentation - something is definitely brewing there.
S.
I think the last two from the first lot of images look the best because you cannot see anything in the background and it makes it all the more mysterious, like maybe it isn't even in a park. I like how the chains lead from the top of the image all the way down.
If you were going to try and make it look more natural - maybe its the pose? You could perhaps have the doll dangling from one hand while she holds onto the chain with the other or the doll could be lying at her feet.
These images are definatley going to make people think different things about their meaning, good work!
I think they are working really well Cate, I think the 2 that are working best are the top one with the shaddow of the swing, but you can't see the swing - it really adds to the power of the shot. and the last one, with the flash going off the the background - it is like she is being watched...
Keep developing this one!!
Post a Comment