Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Animal Photographers (ZOOs)

These are just some images by Gary Heery - it looks like he mainly used natural light. He set up a black back drop in the enclosures and shot the images - see the hippo image. Some animals could have been shot in the studio. I think Tim Flach's photos are more dramatic than Heery's (see previous post) I liked his lighting. I would love the get some animals into a makeshift studio at the Zoo. I will talk to the Zoo and see if this is possible. I also love the concept of the photos as black and white.
While my initial concept was domestic pet photography, I am also very interested in 'wildlife' photography. Particularly 'semi-tame' Zoo animals.
Through exploring the concept of animal photography, I looked into photographers that have shot "Zoo" animals. Two photographers I have a particular interest in are Gary Heery (as mentioned by Lindi and Penny) and Natalie Boog. Natalie published the book "Life is a Zoo" to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Taronga Zoo. I would love to publish a book like this - another challenge!

No comments: