Saturday, October 18, 2008

My Inspiration - Degas is coming to Canberra


I am so excited! The works of French Artist Edgar Degas (France 1834-1917) are coming to the
The Australian National Gallery on 12 December 2008. Degas was my inspiration for my folio - I adore his Ballerina's 'Dance Class'. I originally wanted to recreate these painting using photography - a challenge I will still pursue given more time.

There is a real 'life-ness' to his paintings, his compositions are quite radical and informal for the time. I believe he captured the inner essence - these images speak to me and move me.
He was quite controversial for his time. He has also been brought into the 'Bill Henson' debate of late as Degas used young female models. In 1881, one of his sculptures was of a "fourteen year old dancer", Marie Von Goethemn, a student dancer in the Paris opera (1881). This caused an up-roar as he put real hair and a tu-tu on her. The sculpture was quoted by the cynics (opps sorry critics) as 'little flower of the gutter'.
Degas was very influential in the French art scene, Picasso and Matisse collected his works.
Curator Jane Kinsman has spent the past 3 years securing 121 pieces from over 43 galleries around the world.

No comments: