Monday, October 13, 2008

Cronulla Shoot Childhood Memories


I think this one is my favourite.

Shooting on the beach is an interesting exercise. I had to ensure there was little wind and no people, as I wanted Chloe to appear alone. After postponing the first shoot due to it being too windy, I had to try again the following afternoon. I could only use one light, as I didn't want to get sand in the kit - it was all contained on a blanket in the box. I could not use an umbrella as the light would blow over, therefore the shadows are much harsher than I would have liked.

When I was young, I spent a lot of time in Cronulla, Sydney with my Grandparents. We would frequently go to Wanda beach and Gunnamatta Bay. Wanda beach is where they shot Puberty Blues (for those who remember).

I really wanted to include memories of Cronulla in my folio. I went up to Sydney during the first week of the break to take these shots. To keep the shot in the same theme as my other images I used flash, however I shot these ones just before dusk (not in the dark - too scary). I think they still work due to the 'loneliness' of the environment.

I am not 100% sure which ones I will use. I like the ones with Kurnell and Cronulla in the background. I also like the one where Chloe is looking at the Wanda Beach sign.

For something a little different I thought I would try some action shots - I don't think they work as well.

I also did a shoot at Gunnamatta Bay. I will post these soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the ones with the sign the best too, or where she is looking away towards the sea. They both look great.